|Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad 2-4-2 Class N-1 590 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on an unknown date in 1895, photograph by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Chuck Zeiler collection. The following is excerpted from the book, Steam Locomotives Of The Burlington Route by Bernard G. Corbin and William F. Kerka:
One of the truly high steppers used on the Burlington was the class N-1 2-4-2 Columbia type built by Baldwin in 1895 and assigned to the road as No. 590. The engine was an experimental design, and was to handle a train of six cars from Chicago to Galesburg in three hours, for an average speed of over 54 mph. It was one of the first engines designed for burning bituminous coal with a wide firebox placed to the rear of the driving wheels and over the trailing truck. The boiler was of a straight-top type with a combustion chamber extending forward from the firebox. Unfortunately this combination did not prove entirely satisfactory, and the engine was rebuilt in 1897 with a new firebox, the combustion chamber being omitted. The 2-4-2 type had 84¼ inch drivers with cast steel centers. The first pair of drivers was equalized with the leading truck, and underhung springs were used under all wheels. The cylinders were 19X26 inches and inboard piston valves of 10 inches diameter were located above the front frame extension. The valve link motion was placed entirely between the driving wheels. The tender appears to have been influenced by European design, since it was of a six-wheel type with all three axles held in place by a rigid frame. The springs on the second and third axles were connected by equalizing bars. Although the N-1 engine was never duplicated, its design features were adopted on the 4-4-2 type locomotives that were to follow. In 1905 the Columbia type was rebuilt to a 4-4-2 wheel arrangement, reclassed as P-4, re-numbered 2599 and retired in November 1929.