||ATSF 4-4-2 #1485
||This appears to be a reprint due to the image quality, possibly a photo positive of a builder's photo. Built by Baldwin in 1910, the class had the nickname of "Bull Moosers" due to the unusual domes and piping. According to the American Engineer & RR Journal "A somewhat startling arrangement of steam pipes is a prominent feature in the design, and is clearly indicated in the accompanying illustration. The steam is taken from the boiler at the rear dome and through two 5 in. pipes carried to the forward dome in which the throttle valve is located." Also noteworthy is the three equal-sized domes on the boiler, the central one was the sand dome and the two flanking domes held steam, the reverse of the usual layout. Note that another steam pipe emerged near the smokebox on either side after passing through a smokebox reheater that measured 1,147 sq ft in area; this pipe entered the outside low-pressure cylinders. No information was listed for this photo.
||6/1/1910 Upload Date: 11/20/2014 8:06:49 AM
||272 Comments: 0